Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Play-Toe

What could I do to make a super cool project? I'm limited for time considering it's 2:42 AM. All I have to do is make sure the right sort of music is on. I cannot begin to be creative if there is no music. I completely believe that the music you're listening to while doing a project alters the project itself. You'll honestly find pieces of the music within the piece you're working on. Odd how it is possible to fuse music, a sound, into imagery. Anyways that's all just blab, the guts of the story is that I picked a random book out of my bookshelf.(I was blindfolded, I thought it would make it more interesting) The book is The Republic by Plato, and I took my blindfold off and began figuring out a random approach to picking a page. So I just picked a random post it noted page which spoke about the Myth of the Metals. The post it note then read a different page number and then I went to that section called the Philosopher King.

So now what the fuck do I do? Let's review the process.

Step 1. Wait until you're slaphappy tired.
Step 2. Reset your brain, and blindfold yourself
Step 3. Pick random book from shelf, only feeling with your hands
Step 4. Put chicken pot pie in oven?
Step 5. De-fold yourself, and choose random post-it note wedged within the pages
Step 6. Make sense out of choosing everything so randomly
Step 7. Theorize, make connections, and ask why?

Rough Overview:

The Myth of Metals is a theory created by a Greek Philosopher Plato to where society is broken into a three "classes" so to say. These classes consist of Gold, Silver, and Bronze, each portraying a different responsibility. Gold are the leaders, silver are enforcers/protectors, and bronze are the merchants, farmers, and specialty jobs.

Question!

How does any of this random information tie into the world I live in? What do I know about classicism or inequalities in human history?

1. The Feudal Age- Peasantry, Nobility, and Clergy.
2. Ancient Rome- Plebeians, Patricians Secessio plebis
3. Present Day- Lower Class, Middle Class, Upper Class

So we have a pretty set of three classes. What does a class mean?
Reference.com defines it as a "Group of people within a society who possess the same socioeconomic status"

1. Each class has more power than the other
2. People tend to feel more open towards those in their own social group
3. The groups as a whole crave political, military/religious, and economical dominance.

So we have all these characteristics in each group, but majority wins the vote right? Surely the smallest group has the least about of power!

1. Upper Class 1% of the population
2. Middle & Lower Class 99%

So how does the smallest class have the most control?

1. Media
2. Political Influence
3. Funding
4. Decades of passed down tradition

What does any of this mean to me then? Well understanding the building blocks of how humanity works could...maybe... just maybe... eliminate the possibility of history repeating itself.

What am I going to do about this?
I'm in the process of making a poster that will depict the image shown in an earlier assignment. Obviously I'm not going to rush and ruin something I feel has a lot of potential in. I must make it memorable, and making it very memorable may take more than just the due date today. Although I sizzled up my brain waves in order to further this poster.

It's very odd that I chose The Republic of all the books I had on my shelf, because I've been working on the poster I wish to blow up and hang. The poster will depict all of societies pressures and attempt to touch everyone on some sort of level. More or less "OPEN YOUR EYES". This topic is very interesting to me, because I feel the world is so mysterious and unjust, you simply have to think outside of the box. This interests people, because they too want to know more about the world they think they live in. Various people go on each day not even second guessing what the world is really about.

So as for the discussion aspect I will briefly discuss the image I created in an earlier project, and future of what I want to do with it. I really want to finish this, and doing this spontaneous direction gave me the spark I really needed. So don't fret, this project will finish itself up come Monday.

The whole jest of this project is to ask various people their opinions of the piece ,and attempt to see society from another persons "lens". Instead of deeply debating a topic, I will simply portray our societies truths through images, and see how an individual can even interpret it as a whole.

So. Finish the poster, note what the individuals say about the piece, and for my own personal interests I will learn a lot about how various people interpret their environment.

*This chicken pot pie owns

No comments:

Post a Comment